Saturday, January 6, 2007

Do you know what I mean?

AMarbleinspace posted the following on my Youtube Video of my daughter Asha

Hi. do you think the name Asha is suitable for a white person. cuz i know this white baby whos parents called her Asha. and it doesnt work to me "and im not being racist" but do you know what i mean

As the father of a "biracial" daughter I certainly anticipated a certain amount of prejudice or teasing that my daughter would have to endure. Hell I still get jokes about my last name that people think are oh so original when then spout them.

"Oh that's a good one....no really you're the first one to come up with that." I got made fun of the first day of Kindergarden and while it has slowed down a bit, the jokes keep coming.

Needless to say I was only slightly put off at first and then I thought that this guy is a complete clown. Viewing the limited information on his profile confirmed this and I dismissed this guy as a misinformed and likely uneducated tool. Then I returned to my smiling daughter and forgot what I was upset about in the first place.

Making my daughter smile and laugh are the greatest joys I can experience at the moment.

"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." - Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar

No comments: